SEO Services UK

Thursday, June 4, 2009

An Exhausting Week...

I'm on "vacation" this week, but I'm working more than I would if I had actually gone to work. The past weekend consisted of deep cleaning the house. That was fun...NOT! Then I spent all day on Monday sorting through boxes of stuff from our storage unit we just emptied. Tuesday and Wednesday consisted of many errands and a little scrapbooking. Today I actually got to spend most of the day with my Mom which is always fun. We scrapbooked a little and then we came back to my house to get ready for tomorrow's events.

Tony had this bright idea to have a garage sale. I absolutely detest these things, but since we have so much STUFF we decided we might as well try and sell some of it before giving it to Goodwill or the Salvation Army. When I actually got out there and started pricing stuff and putting it on tables it made me sick to my stomach. We currently have six 8' long tables that are absolutely piled with stuff and Tony just went to get three more. Not to mention all of the stuff that is still sitting on the garage floor. I'd post of picture of it, but I'm actually quite embarrassed that we have so much excess.

This whole process has really made me stop and think about material possessions that we spend so much money on. My kids certainly don't need the amount of toys that they have piled in their closets when others are going without anything. This has actually been a good learning experience for them too. I don't think they realized how much stuff they had either until we started going through it. I didn't force them to get rid of anything they wanted, but they cleaned 3/4 of their stuff out of their rooms on their own. Holly was actually starting to think of it as though "some other little girl would really like to play with this". It was rather refreshing.

Needless to say, I will definitely stop and think twice before just picking up that toy for Christmas or a Birthday just for the sake of having packages to open. By Saturday night, I will be ready for a nice stiff drink...lol!!!

2 comments:

Giles Family said...

How wonderful and what a great lesson for the kids! I do hope that you guys make some money in the sale. We boxed up a ton of stuff just to "declutter" for the sale of our home and it's been SO nice. My house doesn't get junked up anymore and it's so much easier to keep neat. I'm thinking that after a couple of months of not seeing all the extra stuff, we ought to do the same as you and sell what's in the boxes b/c it's obviously not Necessity! Be sure to post how your sale goes!!

~Chris~ said...

It always feels so good to get rid of all of that extra stuff you don't need!

 

© Copyright by My Life is Scrapalicious.Template designed and distributd by SEO Services UK || Top SEO Training